[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re:who visited my page?

At 8:39 PM -0700 8/20/96, Josh Bettoni wrote:
>        Is there a way to log the ip addresses? or the e-mail addresses or
>the people who visit your page?

If your ISP gives you access to this, the IP addresses will be in the log file.

If not, and if you have permission to run cgi programs, you can write a cgi
that will log the IP address.

Email addresses are a different matter. The browser only knows the email
address that the user supplies. If I hit your page, you'll think my email
address is <bogus@bogosity.com>. (That's because I do NOT want sites I hit
to get a hold of my true email address for commercial purposes.)

  ___

 \_|IM

Jim Ratliff, Ph.D.       jim@virtualperfection.com
Virtual Perfection       http://www.virtualperfection.com/
     Web Solutions       (520)624-7852
P.O.Box 43995            (800)578-2164
Tucson AZ 85733          (520)624-9266[fax]

Follow-Ups: References: